Jul 5, 2011

Enabling Global menu support for DraftSight on Ubuntu 11.04

A few days ago reader Toni left me a comment asking if I know any way to enable global menu support for DraftSight on Ubuntu 11.04.
I am an Ubuntu user and I use Natty as one of my OSes ( My other OSes are Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and Debian Wheezy ). I have never thought to enable global menu on DraftSight before. I use DraftSight and I find it great but  I never missed this feature.

Finally enabling global menu support is quite easy.
My idea for linking system's libraries worked like a charm.
But I think that there are some legal issues here. DraftSight is proprietary software and I don't know if this hack is acceptable. Similar workarounds are posted in official forums of proprietary apps (Googleearth) for fixing problems but DraftSight is different. Also you may consider that DS is designed for working with these specific versions of Qt libraries and wouldn't work properly with the newer system's libraries. One bug that I discovered is that the cursor remains always visible. For these reasons I don't want to give detailed instructions for this workaround.
The basic instructions are:

  • Backup all Qt libraries from the folder /opt/dassault-systemes/draftsight/lib to a folder inside your home folder.
  • Replace all Qt-related libraries from /opt/dassault-systemes/draftsight/lib with links to your system libraries from /usr/lib folder. Just remove the default libraries from /opt/dassault-systemes/draftsight/lib and copy the links from /usr/lib folder folder (libQtxxx.so named archives) to the above folder and you are ready.



I played a while with this and then I reverted the changes.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks.

    It's possible, you can send this post to Draftsight and they can integrate this.

    ReplyDelete